Hormones and Hair
In one of my latest posts on Instagram, I talk about how hormones can affect the way your hair looks, so let's start.....
Have you ever notice that days before you will get your cycle/period your hair and skin start acting up?
You will say how?
with your skin you will experience some breaking out, dryness, or more oil production depending on your skin, some redness, and irritation in some areas. (not everyone suffers from the same symptoms at once)
with your hair, what I experience most of the time usually 5 days before I start my cycle is my curls become waves, my hair gets unmanageable, dryer, lifeless, it takes me more time to style it, the frizz is uncontrollable, it's just a big mess.
During these days I always have the same question whats going on with my hair??? then I start doing Deep Conditioning or I clarify with ACV or I changed the way I styled it, and then it hits me.... I'm getting my period!!!!
So what's the reason for this changed?
HORMONES yes that scary word that we face every month since we become young women adults. ESTROGEN, PROGESTERONE, and TESTOSTERONE are the main hormones our bodies produce (I'm aware there are other ones but this is not bio class) and can get affected if one of these has a major increase or decrease.
For me is the increase of estrogen, others can have an increase in progesterone is really rare the increase of testosterone (if you want to be sure about your hormones ask your gynecologist for a hormone test) When my estrogen spikes days before I get my cycle, I notice the tiny pimples in my face, my mood gets from happy to going to rage, frustration and crying in minutes and I feel very blue. My hair gets all weird and I get annoyed by it. But the bright side is once I'm done everything goes back to normal.
Hope this helps, I don't want to get too much in detail about hormones but this is the basics.
With Love Nikky xoxo

Comments
Post a Comment